You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

8/10/2014 11:41 am  #1

The Memory and Cognitive Issues Thread

Since multiple members have mentioned that they deal with memory issues, cognitive problems, and neurological challenges, Mirenithil and I thought we should create a thread for it. Need to vent? Want to share tips and tricks for coping? Let's make this the place.

My girls: Kirsten Johanna Larson (c. 1854: Ryd, Sweden/ Minnesota), Olive Leah Fonseca (c. 1887: East London, UK), Eva Marie Graff (c. 1926: Upper Michigan)

8/10/2014 11:58 am  #2

Re: The Memory and Cognitive Issues Thread

Stuff I do to deal with the memory problems:
- If there is something I absolutely can not forget about, I will place it on the floor in the doorway of my bedroom. That way, I can not possibly miss it. (Library books to return, empty toilet paper rolls to remind myself I need to buy TP stat, etc.)
- I set up autopay on as many bills as I can. All other bills get paid asap. If I set a bill aside, chances are too good I'll forget utterly about it until I happen across it again. ("this is... the electricity bill... due two days ago... dammit") I get uncomfortable if I can't put a paid bill in the mail the next day. If it's not a mail day, on the floor in the doorway it goes so that I remember to put it out the first postal day.
- Post it notes to myself on the inside of the screen door sure look out of place, and that makes sure I notice them before I leave the house. (I don't stick 'em on the actual screen part; that would be a little too funny looking, haha. I place them on the metal edge above the handle.)
- I take my time doing things like packing for a trip; I give myself a few days to do it, and every time I remember something else I should bring, I just pack it immediately. I know I won't remember it again later.
- Indispensible: notepad and pen in the purse. My portable brain, haha.
- If I go out to eat and have leftovers, I always write the date on the box. No more guessing at how old something is. "Did we go out Tuesday... or was it Friday?..."

8/10/2014 12:02 pm  #3

Mirenithil wrote:

- If I go out to eat and have leftovers, I always write the date on the box. No more guessing at how old something is. "Did we go out Tuesday... or was it Friday?..."

This is such a brilliant idea! I don't personally have any memory problems, but I can be forgetful, so I am going to start doing this stat!
The post-its on the door is also a great idea which I might try on my bedroom door so I don't forget things for school.

8/10/2014 12:49 pm  #4

I do similar things to what Merenithil mentioned.  Sometimes I try and remember things just as an exercise, like the names of all the campgrounds we like in Texas, birds we've seen, or the names of all my dolls.  

But, I was wondering if anyone knows of a memory game or system that actually works?  I see ads for Luminosity but don't know if that is real or just another attempt to make money.

8/10/2014 10:00 pm  #5

My memory issues are directly related to the increase of my epilepsy medication; over the past two months. I knew it would happen and frankly it's tiny things. Someone will ask me a simpe question, one that I'd normal get. Like the name of a band or song title. And I just blank,nothing. It's also affected my fine motor skills. Again nothing I can really do anything about but acknwelodge the change and live with it.

Don't get me started on the bullshit that is Luminosity. Paying money to train your brain. Day to day activites do that, reading or even watching TV uses your brain. How about cooking or chores around the house. Oh wait what about ones job. Yeah total and utter bullshit. Why pay for something that dosen't work and that you can get for free.  Simply typing up this reply is using my brain. *insert snark here*

8/10/2014 10:09 pm  #6

RunswithWolves wrote:

My memory issues are directly related to the increase of my epilepsy medication; over the past two months. I knew it would happen and frankly it's tiny things. Someone will ask me a simpe question, one that I'd normal get. Like the name of a band or song title. And I just blank,nothing. It's also affected my fine motor skills. Again nothing I can really do anything about but acknwelodge the change and live with it.

Don't get me started on the bullshit that is Luminosity. Paying money to train your brain. Day to day activites do that, reading or even watching TV uses your brain. How about cooking or chores around the house. Oh wait what about ones job. Yeah total and utter bullshit. Why pay for something that dosen't work and that you can get for free.  Simply typing up this reply is using my brain. *insert snark here*

Dude, do you have epilepsy, too? I hate med side effects, especially the "cognitive blunting." The last medication I tried (Keppra, I think--got taken off it) was particularly bad in that regard. Every time they titrated the dose up, I could feel my IQ drop by about 10 points. The one I'm on now is better, but not perfect. I have trouble finding words, which gets way, way worse when I'm tired or stressed. It's also makes it hard for me to task-switch, which is bad because I'm also Autistic and had tons of trouble task-switching to begin with. My meds seem to mainly affect my gross motor skills, but again, those were weak for me to begin with. Particularly when I'm tired, I bump into stuff a LOT and am forever finding random bruises.

My girls: Kirsten Johanna Larson (c. 1854: Ryd, Sweden/ Minnesota), Olive Leah Fonseca (c. 1887: East London, UK), Eva Marie Graff (c. 1926: Upper Michigan)

8/12/2014 8:25 am  #7

ellaweasel wrote:

RunswithWolves wrote:

Dude, do you have epilepsy, too? I hate med side effects, especially the "cognitive blunting." The last medication I tried (Keppra, I think--got taken off it) was particularly bad in that regard. Every time they titrated the dose up, I could feel my IQ drop by about 10 points. The one I'm on now is better, but not perfect. I have trouble finding words, which gets way, way worse when I'm tired or stressed. It's also makes it hard for me to task-switch, which is bad because I'm also Autistic and had tons of trouble task-switching to begin with. My meds seem to mainly affect my gross motor skills, but again, those were weak for me to begin with. Particularly when I'm tired, I bump into stuff a LOT and am forever finding random bruises.

Yes I do, Feel free to hit me up via private message if you want more details. Long as all heck story short. I've had it since I was four or five years old but wasn't formally diagnoised till three years ago. That's when I was put on medication,Keppra. Which (knock on wood) works for me. I'm right in the middle of having the dosage increased. Only real down side is I'm now very heat intolerant. Which only makes the memory issues worse.

Swear I feel my IQ tank once the tempature hits 95F.  My friends know why I sort of go into shut down mode when it's that hot. And that I'll reboot myself given time and cooling down.

8/22/2014 11:04 am  #8

I thought I'd be on medications that don't have as many memory impairment issues by the time I started the semester. I was wrong.
I'll have Lyrica soon but my doctor said it will make me "fatigued" at first. I'm pretty sure that's code for 'you'll feel like you're walking the bottom of an endless sea' so I'm not sure when I'll be able to start that.

I have no idea about Luminosity but I do know that at Khan Academy you can practice math at whatever level you want for free. I know they have other subjects, but I've only used it for math.
https://www.khanacademy.org

I forgot to go talk to the accessibility services thing last semester because they're not actually on campus and now I can't remember where the letter from my doctor to the school is. I don't feel ready to start the semester.

8/23/2014 10:32 am  #9

Oh, no. Fatigue when you're in school... Not good.   Is your doctor just adding meds, or adding the Lyrica and taking away whatever is currently causing the memory issues?

Your doctor's office probably has a copy of the letter they wrote for you on file. Try calling them and asking them if they can mail it directly to your school. It would save you a trip and a lot of energy.

8/23/2014 4:11 pm  #10

Just adding meds, though that may not happen now due to insurance.

I don't remember them copying the letter. Though my doctor authorized it, I pretty much wrote it by telling an assistant what to write. My doctor is... not good with these things.

Board footera