You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

7/22/2014 10:19 am  #1

Vintage dolls

What does anyone think of vintage Barbies? I have a good collection (yay, thrift stores!) of older Barbies and their clothes. I know one of them is Fashion Queen Barbie, and two are definitely Twist n' Turns, but the others have almost no hair (the work of a young hairdresser, no doubt) and I can't tell what they are. I'll post pics if you want to see.

Amber Florence Valenti- age 13 (#58)
Maria Josefina Montoya-Tate- age 12 
Calpurnia "Callie" Amara Tate- age 11 (#23)
Dell Thea Tate- age 7 (H4H Dell)

7/22/2014 2:55 pm  #2

Re: Vintage dolls

I don't really have a vintage Barbie, but I found a reproduction of the first ponytail Barbie in the "Solo In the Spotlight" outfit for a few bucks at a flea market.  I've made a couple outfits for her and always assumed that I probably wouldn't be able to afford real vintage clothes.  Surprisingly enough, though, I've found that you can sometimes find the old outfits for pretty reasonable prices if you don't get hung up on completeness (all the little shoes and jewelry and doodads).  I found the "Suburban Shopper" dress at a yard sale for around $4, minus the hat and with a funky stain that I was able to remove--it looks really cute on her!

Oh, and I'm not an expert at the vintage dolls, but I can take a swing at ID'ing if you want to post picks

Last edited by Grungie (7/22/2014 2:56 pm)

7/24/2014 7:52 am  #3

I have a good amount of experience with VIntage Barbie, so post pics and between Grungie and I, I'm betting we can have them all IDed.

7/30/2014 3:45 pm  #4

I'm pretty good with vintage Barbies, too. I have a few. I'm sure Bubbles and Grungie can ID everything, but I'd like to see what you have, too.
In fact I'm going to go start another thread on the topic, so I don't hijack this one with my blather. ahaha

9/13/2014 7:31 pm  #5

Regarding vintage Barbie I've got one #3 ponytail, two TNT Staceys (one with a ponytail and one with a flip), one Malibu Barbie, and one Hair Fair head on a Francie body.  I also have two reproductions (35th Anniversary Midge and Astronaut Barbie), and I treat them like real vintage dolls because they've got the overall look.  I'm by no means an expert at identification, but like Grungie I'm willing to take a stab at it.

9/16/2014 1:05 am  #6

I adore the vintage Barbie's! I should post some pictures at some point.

In 3 words I can sum up what I've learned about life: It goes on.

Don't be afraid to reinvent yourself. Do it all the time! 

9/16/2014 1:31 pm  #7

I have some of the Barbies I played with as a kid that are vintage.  I also have some of my Mom's old Barbies from when she was a kid.

9/16/2014 2:23 pm  #8

theedwardiangirl wrote:

I have some of the Barbies I played with as a kid that are vintage.  I also have some of my Mom's old Barbies from when she was a kid.

It might be worth doublechecking to see if we're using terms the same way. Vintage, in Barbie collector terms, generally means pre-1972, and encompasses the ponytail and mod eras. To be honest, even though the Malibu era isn't really offically considered vintage, people treat it that way, so that'd push the cutoff date for 'vintage' forward to 1976 being the final year (as the Superstar dolls came out the following year.) I'm in no hurry for them to begin considering the Superstar era as vintage. hehe Do you have any pictures of the dolls?

9/20/2014 5:13 pm  #9

I have quite a few, my current favorite is the 1970 talker who I found at a flea market for a song, and sent off for repair, so she really talks. Squee!

9/20/2014 5:29 pm  #10

Turns out I happened upon a vintage Allan ('60s) at Goodwill about a month ago. Maybe if he's still there next time, I'll think of buying him. He was in bad shape, covered in a substance and his hair paint rubbed off, with a chunk of his nose missing. :-/

Roleplayer. Collector. Tumblr.

Board footera