You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

2/17/2014 1:55 pm  #1

The Lego Movie [Spoiler Thread]

I jst saw the Lego Movie yesterday--wow, was that a good movie! Any thoughts on it? I won't start with spoilers just yet.

We're now at Zetaboards!

2/18/2014 1:37 am  #2

Re: The Lego Movie [Spoiler Thread]

I really enjoyed all the LEGO jokes in there, like whenever they called attention to the food!. All of the 'relics' were funny as well, and I now refer to some of my craft stuff in these terms, 'the sword of absolute zero!' I work at a daycare, so I can't escape the Everything is Awesome earworm. It's just like the movie: one of the kids start singing it, and shortly the whole room is singing it. I actually thought the song was cute the first time, but now it's really starting to wear on me due to continued exposure.

I enjoyed the good-natured lampooning of Batman's character as well, especially the song he wrote in which you can hear 'my parents are dead!' and 'I'm rich!' as some of the lyrics. I think my favorite character was Princess Uni-Kitty, who reminded me a lot of Pinkie Pie, from what little I saw of the MLP cartoon. Cloud Cuckoo land! And all the master builders! 

I think they did a really good job of writing a storyline that very much feels like a kid wrote it. It's so playful, occasionally random, and even the language completely fits. The little touches like the top of the tower flying away with a silly noise and Vitruvius coming back as a LEGO ghost on a string were great.

2/18/2014 10:18 am  #3

Loved it--it's definitely DVD- worthy.  My son had his 8th birthday te weekend it opened--he and my husband are Lego-crazy so the timing was perfect.  The father-and-son subplot thing at the end made my husband cry!  (He's got a table in the basement with a big Lego city layout on it, too--except the kids are allowed to play with it.)

2/18/2014 6:42 pm  #4

I amn convinced one of the morals of the story is "Don't bogart your toys from your kids--if you're going to have awesome sprawling things that are toys near your kids, accept that they are toys and play with them." That part when he was looking at the signs and realizing that he had been a jerkass to his son by putting up all these barriers and not letting him just play, and that this made him a villian. The kid wasn't breaking the lego sets or wrecking them mixing them up--he was doing what should be done, which is having fun with them. And while I'm a AG historical purist in many ways, when I do sprog out I will happily play toys with my kids.

Well, and the other moral is "Think outside the packaging!"

That line about the Legos being "advanced builing systems" slayed me. It's so weird how society can justify "boy toys" as something you can keep as an adult, but only if you don't play with them and just have them to display--while girl toys are just wastes of money. >.>

Also, I didn't notice until another board I check pointed it out but Vitruvius's magic wand? Lollipop stick.

We're now at Zetaboards!

2/24/2014 1:13 pm  #5

My daughter and I saw the movie yesterday, and we loved it too!http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/happy.png

The scene between the father and the son especially...I watched the dad, holding that little Lord Business guy in his hand, learning some hard truths, and as a parent felt moved (and maybe a little humbled), but then another little thought came creeping around the edges of the first ones. Wouldn't it be great to have a little figure that looked Just Like You, even if it was the bad guy? Then I thought some more, and I realized that there was such a figure for me, right there in the movie: The Old Cat Lady.  Yes, folks, she really is my mini-mini-mini-mini-micro-mini-me, (even though I have no cats at present, and when I do, I plan to have no more than two. Promise!)

Anyway...fun flick. I give it a thumbs up!

Last edited by Special Agent Cee (2/24/2014 1:14 pm)

8/04/2014 10:27 am  #6

I just saw the movie last week on dvd and loved it.  My boyfriend also enjoyed it.  I really like how they resonated the whole "let kids be kids and actually use their imagination".

Trying to get my parents to watch it, since they rented it, thought it was moving to slow, and turned it off only about 20-30 minutes in.  They missed the whole moral of the film.

Board footera